Recipe from Half Hour Meals website
450 g wholemeal flour
2 tsp easy-blend yeast
1 tsp sea salt
200 g cheddar cheese
2 tsp dried thyme
350 – 400 ml lukewarm water (temperature of the body)
1 tsp milk
1. Butter a 900 g (2 lb) warmed loaf tin and set aside.
2. Finely grate the cheese. Stir yeast, salt and 2/3 of the cheese into the flour.
3. Make a well in the middle and slowly pour in beaten egg and water, while mixing with a wooden spoon or your hand.
4. Pour into the tin and cover with cloth or oiled clingfilm. Leave it in a draught-free, warm place to rise, approximately an hour.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 230 degree celcius.
6. When the bread has risen, brush it with milk and sprinkle over remaining cheese and thyme.
7. Place in the oven, turn down temperature to 200 degree celcius and bake for 40 – 45 minutes. If you are making mini loaves, the baking time will be approximately 20 – 25 minutes.
8. Test doneness by tapping bottom of bread, it should sound hollow. Leave to cool on a wire rack.