Preparation time 20 minutes (plus standing time) / Cooking time 45 minutes / Serves 12
125g raisins, chopped firmly
60ml dark rum
110g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp golden syrup
80g butter, melted
150g self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
65g dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-assisted. Lightly grease 14cm x 21cm loaf tin, line base and two long sides with baking parchment, extending paper 5cm above edges of tin.
2. Combine raisins and rum in small bowl, stand, covered for 2 hours.
3. Beat sugar, egg, extract and syrup in small bowl with electric mixer until think and creamy.
4. Transfer mixture to medium bowl, stir in butter, buttermilk and sifted flour, cocoa and nutmeg. Stir in undrained raisin mixture and chocolate chips (if using).
5. Spread mixture into prepared tin; bake, uncovered, about 45 minutes. Stand 10 minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool.